Race pictures are one of those things that you either love or hate.
Like Reality TV.
But it is possible to get a good race picture! Really! Other bloggers I love and follow have posted about this in the past, but these are my tips.
1. Keep your eyes open for the race photographer. I know there are about 1 million things going on when you are racing, but it helps to look out for them and be prepared to smile when you find them.
2. Wear something FUN. You don’t have to go crazy and be an ELF ON THE RUN, but in my experience you will have more photos taken if you at least have on some color. Sparkle skirts help too!
3. As you approach a photographer, separate yourself from other runners. It helps them get a good look at you and reduces bad photo bombs. If you are going for a PR, you can most likely skip this advice. BUT if you don’t 100% care about your time being perfect – space helps.
4. As you approach the finish line, adjust your clothes, headphones, and gait so you are camera ready. My friend Deb says, “Smile, run tall, take long strides, look strong, but don’t run too fast and get too close to the runners in front of us.” And finally, “Don’t look down at your watch as you cross the finish line.”
5. And the best way to get a good photo – even without being “prepared” – enjoy the race!! Not only will it make your race more fun, but your photos will turn out well even without all my advice!!